At long last, my wife and I made the trek down to the historic Dallas Pioneer Cemetery to photograph it for this site. Many things make this particular cemetery unique.
- It is a combination of four cemeteries.
- A substantial Confederate Monument occupies one corner of the grounds.
- Many historically significant people are buried there.
- Is is bounded by the Dallas Convention Center
- A massive bronze cattle drive is part of the park’s attraction.
Also, this is the first of the cemeteries I’ve covered where I made a concerted effort to capture as many of the monuments as possible and transcribe all of them – in addition to transcribing all the plaques. Over 130 photos make up this display.
Photographed on March 6, 2011 and posted on March 19, 2011
Stay tuned for 2 more postings I’m still working on. An obscure town cemetery in rural Grayson County and – a necropolis I’ve been looking for this last 2 years – a well- concealed Confederate Cemetery in Grayson County.