www.necropoliscreep.net // home page
  Home Links
   
     
  Copyright 2006-2017 Warren Paul Harris . All rights reserved

Green Valley Cemetery - Denton County, Texas

June 27, 2009
Bird on a tombstone
Green Valley lies between the Elm Fork of the Trinity River to the east and Clear Creek to the southwest. Fertile soil, plentiful timber, and a small stream, Culp Creek, attracted early settlers to the area. The community was originally called Toll Town, possibly because of its location at the crossroads of the stage lines from Sherman to Fort Worth and McKinney to Fort Richardson. Its name was changed to Green Valley at the suggestion of Henry Clay Wilmoth, the teacher at the first subscription school. He applied for a post office for the community, which was granted in 1874. Around that time the town had a blacksmith shop, three stores, and a population of fifty. Green Valley began to decline after 1881, when the Texas and Pacific Railway bypassed it and the post office closed.
Green Valley Cemetery sign
Branch family tombstone
Jesse M. Foutch headstone
Flowers on a grave
Row of tombstones
Annie Readway headstone
Row of tombstones in tall grass
Ira Emerson headstone 16 months old
2nd Love tombstone of 40's car
Ira Emerson headstone 16 months old
 
All images © Copyright Warren Paul Harris
Overview of Green Valley Cemetery
 
All Rights Reserved